Friday, November 11, 2011

Day three hundred and three: Blueberry muffin challenge

My husband was out of town, my daughters wanted muffins, and we decided to give the gluten-free muffin experiment a try.  As I've been learning, a lot of gluten-free cooking is trial and error, so I decided to take two recipes, as well as two very different types of flours, and see what happened.

This first batch is made with coconut flour, and the recipe comes from the gluten-free Elana.  They are grain-free-- one baking method with which we're experimenting.  The muffins tasted good, but to be honest were very wet and oily, and didn't rise very much, so we decided to bake batch #2.

This second batch was made with Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour blend.  The biggest downside to baking with this flour blend was that there is a slight bean-y aftertaste, which I did not care for.  On the flip side, they were light, fluffy, and not too wet or dry.  After the fact, I discovered a flour blend which I like MUCH better.  I'll get to that in a future post.
For comparison sake, here are both muffins.  In a taste test, #2 were much better.  The coconut-flour ones weren't too bad, though.  I froze the extras in a ziploc bag, and used them for the next month as a snack to toss into my daughter's school backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment